This is one of my favorite ways to enjoy the bounty of a barbecue. Pronounced “brusketta”, this classic Italian appetizer is a perfect way to capture the flavors of garden ripened tomatoes, fresh chilli, garlic, and olive oil.
- 6 ripe plum Italian tomatoes (about 1 1/2 lbs)
- 3 teaspoons brown sugar
- 2 Teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 Tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon extra virgin olive oil.
- 2 or 3 green chillis, seeded and chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt.
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper.
- Sliced Italian bread, toasted crispy in the oven
- Torn Basil leaves
- Dice the tomatoes until you have a chunky mix, place in a draining bowl mix in the sugar and allow to drain for 2 days. (If you skip this you will have a sloppy watering mix)
- Once drained add, chopped chilli (careful add according to taste), garlic, balsamic vinegar, extra virgin olive oil, salt and pepper to taste.
- Mix all together until you have a stunning mix of green and red
- Tear basil leaves and sprinkle on top for garnish
Serve as a starter on your favourite toasted Italian bread